Thursday, November 3, 2011

The end of season detox

I am a self-confessed sports addict, if you want to split hairs, I am a rugby groupie and if you spend a few seconds with me you will know that I am obsessed with the Golden Lions. But alas, the time has come to put my 10 (at last count) rugby jerseys in the back of my closet, along with my winter boots and other things that I won’t be wearing for a few months, and start the off season Jonesing process that I go through ever year.
There was an audible tensing of nerves in the Donaldson household when I realised that this will be the first weekend since about February that I won’t be watching a rugby game. There will be no screaming at the television, no throwing of remotes, no shaking of fists at the blind referees and no tears when the team I have supported since I wore nappies lift the cup.

This year was the best in a long time, having a rugby world cup on (even though the boys were cheated) and then having my beloved Lions play with heart and passion to win the Currie Cup. It has ended on an ever higher high with John Mitchell being named coach of the year, the Lions team of the year and captain fantastic, Josh Strauss, as the CC player of the year at the SARU Awards tonight. I couldn’t be happier, be the higher you are the harder the fall and this weekend will be a toughie.
Luckily, as a South African, a good game is never far away, and so I will now focus my energies on the Proteas kicking some emu ass in the upcoming test series. My shakes and cravings won't last. It has been an awfully long season and we all deserve a holiday and a massage, I intend on having both very soon.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment